Saturday, May 27, 2006

Kagi ni – zero – ku, kudasai!

Aaarrrggghhh!!!

It’s the Last Saturday in Japan. Bugger.


Since returning from Tokyo, time is going fast. Too fast.

I go through the usual routine:


Cup of tea

Breakfast

More tea

Watch cartoons

Get ready

Time for more tea?

Nope, I'd better head off downstairs to meet Phil and Christine.

This morning we’re all off to the Hokkaido Shrine (Hokkaido Jingu) which is sort of situated within Maruyama park.

Stopping off to pick up some lunch in a convenience store on the way, we jump on a train for the short journey.

We reach the Shrine just in time to catch the last part of a traditional Shinto Wedding. It's a bit strange standing here watching people that I don't know and I feel that somehow I'm intruding, but no one appears to mind.

Wedding over, we take a look around the shrine then find a quiet spot to sit down to have lunch. As we sit down, a huge crow lands and decides to take up residence near us. Eyeing up our lunch, he craftily makes his way towards where we're sitting only to be chased away by Christine.


A few minutes later he tries again, slowly edging his way towards us, only to be chased away again by Phil. This continues for about 10 or 15 minutes before he finally gives up and disappears (the crow, not Phil)

With lunch finished we head up towards Maruyama itself. “Aha!” I think to myself “A nice gentle climb up to the top of a small hill” (O_o)

I’m not even a quarter of the way up Maruyama and already I’m exhausted. Christine and Phil power ahead while I stop and take a rest using the excuse that I’m taking pictures of the many (well about 83 in total) Jizo-san that are scattered along the trail.

As we continue our trek to the summit, we encounter a few other climbers heading in the opposite direction, greeting each of them with a cheery “konnichiwa!” and as we pass and greet each other, I’m also trying not to accidentally stumble over the edge as parts of the path are quite narrow. I can trip up on completely flat floors so this is dangerous ground for me…

Finally, after what seems like forever we reach the top and look out over Sapporo in all of it’s um…… er……“Sapporoness” (Sorry, couldn’t think of a better word – Suggestions gratefully received in the comments section! LOL!)

“I think we can get a bit closer to the edge” says Phil, but as it’s quite windy here at the summit I’m quite happy to stay where I am and cling to some handy rocks, wedging myself in as I take some pictures of the city sprawl in front of me.

There’s a slight haze over the city, and it’s actually a lot bigger than I thought it was. The view is definitely worth the effort of the climb.

We spend some time gazing out into the distance, with Phil pointing out some of the main architectural delights of the city (including the Sapporo dome, the TV tower and his flat)

Full to the brim of “Sapporoness” we head back down the other side of Maruyama and yes, although it’s a quicker journey it’s also a bit more hazardous as sometimes its quite difficult to stop once the momentum of going down a steep slope kicks in.


We reach the bottom (in one piece – Yay!) and head off to our second destination for the day - The Hokkaido Museum of Modern Art. Some of the artwork was amazing, some of it was not so amazing, but hey! That’s modern art for you! You need to check it out for yourselves :D

One quick trip around the Museum (and the gift shop!) later, we head back in the direction of our respective homes/hotel as we're off out again later for a meal.

Back at the hotel. Time for the “ordeal of the key” (O_o)

In preparation for this momentous task, on the way back from the Museum Phil teaches me how to ask for the key to my room in Japanese and I think I can just about manage remember it.

I walk up to the reception desk, full of confidence, take a deep breath and ask the yellow uniformed girl behind the desk “Kagi ni – zero – ku kudasai” A huge beaming smile breaks out across her face as she hands me my key immediately (I think she was holding it in her hand) I’m stunned…

It turns out that because I’ve asked for the key so many times, they now recognise me and know which key it is off by heart, so as soon as they see me enter the hotel they already have it in hand by the time I reach the desk!

Evening comes and I meet Phil and Christine again as we’re off to meet another one of Phil’s friends Miwako (Hello Miwako!) at Kopitiam which is located in the Tanukikoji shopping arcade. Kopitiam is a very loud and vibrant Singapore bar restaurant type place which is perfect for an evening of fun, but not so perfect for people who want to sit and have a conversation. It becomes very apparent how difficult especially as Miwako also finds my London accent hard to understand.

Despite the odd blip in conversation, a good time is had by all. We leave Kopitiam and head our own separate ways.

As it’s still relatively early, I decide to take a walk around the brightly lit streets of Susukino before grabbing tomorrows breakfast at a convenience store and making my way back to the hotel, smiling to myself as I know that my key will probably already be waiting for my return…

:D

2 Comments:

Blogger Eriko said...

I like "Kopitiam"! I'll write about the restaurantin near future.

1:46 AM  
Blogger Colin said...

That's a place I'd like to visit again when I return to Sapporo!

:D

2:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home