Saturday, May 20, 2006

"There's hell in hello, but more in goodbye"

I wake up feeling refreshed and very excited today. I was finally going to meet up with my very good friend Yuki. I’ve known Yuki for about a year and this is going to be the first face to face meeting!

Fortunately, due to work commitments, she’s going to be in Sapporo this week, otherwise we probably couldn't meet. Yatta! :D

Unfortunately, also due to work commitments, she now lives on the other side of Hokkaido and is only here for a few days before she has to return, so time together is short. Bugger :(

We meet in Odori Park by the TV Tower (It’s a good meeting point if you ever go to Sapporo, its big and its orange and white. You can’t miss it) Yuki is already there waiting on one of the benches when I finally arrive (As I’m still not quite sure how to navigate my way around the city, I take what I think is the correct route from my hotel to the park and somehow get into a very strange conversation with a local taxi driver when I stop to ask directions)

Yuki stands up and smiles. I smile in return, we exchange “hello” and I startle her by giving her a hug! (Sorry Yuki!)

We walk along Odori for a bit. The sun is out and it’s a lovely day!

Yuki becomes my guide and takes me shopping. We hit the covered Tanukikoji shopping arcade and explore some of the 200 stores that are here. It’s a mix of the traditional and modern and there’s something for everyone. One of the most interesting is The Donki Shop which is part of a famous chain. From DVDs to toiletries, this place has it all!

Lunchtime arrives and Yuki asks if I can use chopsticks. I don’t think she’s too convinced when I say yes, so she takes me to her favourite pasta place! LOL!

We eat, and I still manage to make a complete mess even though I’m using a fork and a spoon.

After lunch we hit the Purikura machines in the local games arcade. Feeling a bit out of place as we enter (99% of the people in the Purikura corner are female and probably between the ages of 12 and 15 years of age) I follow Yuki as she picks a machine and we disappear behind the brightly coloured curtain…

This is my first experience with the phenomenon that is “Purikura” (the nearest I’ve been to something like it was when I had my passport photos taken! Hahaha!) and I’m surprised by how quick it all happens. Before I have time to think (and to remove the strange bemused look that I permanently have) the photos are taken and I follow Yuki around to the other side of the machine. This is where you get the opportunity to draw, write and ‘stamp’ onto the pictures, and generally get the opportunity to make them look all nice. Well you can if you know what you’re doing.

Yuki, being an expert at this, gets to work straight away while I stand there and scribble (accidentally ruining a few of the pictures in the process) and just when I realise that you can erase things, the time is up and we wait outside for the pictures to be delivered…

When they finally show up, Yuki (expertly wielding a pair of scissors) neatly divides the sheet of pictures into two.

I look at the results…Hmmm…Oooh…I look even worse than I thought I would. Yuki (looking as lovely as usual!) stands there with her usual cheeky smile while I look akin to someone that’s just been involved in a rather nasty chemical accident. "Can we do them again???" I think to myself "No??? Arse")

I’ve never really liked having my picture taken, and anyone that sees these (hopefully no one!) will probably understand why.

Months before I came to Japan, I made Yuki promise that she would sing to me, so true to her word, the next stop is Karaoke!

She books the room, orders the drinks and we head off for an hour of singing. Yuki sings songs by Britney Spears, The Backstreet Boys (my favourite!) and Gwen Stefani while I murder songs by The Smiths, New Order, Gwen Stefani, and Atomic Kitten (O_o)

(Once again, before I came to Japan, I told Yuki that my singing sounded very much like someone being run over by a small woodland creature on a motor cycle. I think that she now probably believes me)

Next we head for the two underground shopping malls at Sapporo Station. This place is huge!


Stopping at a place that sells many differing types of delicious food, we pass a huge vat of Bean Jam bubbling away. Actually, it looks quite dangerous and I’m glad we’re watching from behind the glass. Yuki treats me to a very tasty bean jam filled snack and we have a short rest while we eat.

We leave the Station and once again head back towards Odori Park, but as the weather is now turning slightly chilly we decide to go to the pub instead.

We have a quick drink, and all too soon the time has come for Yuki and I to say goodbye. As we walk along the busy street before we go our own separate way, I feel a deep sadness inside.

I’m glad that we were able to meet but it’s very difficult to watch as she disappears into the crowds on this warm Sapporo evening.


2 Comments:

Blogger Eriko said...

Oh, you've been to Karaoke!
I'd like to hear you sing.
Minnie Ripperton, maybe!

9:07 PM  
Blogger Colin said...

Trust me Eriko, you wouldn't!

LOL!

:D

2:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home