Friday, May 26, 2006

Riot Police Vs Extremists!

Friday morning!

I get up and potter about, taking my time getting ready for the day ahead.

It’s so nice to be able to get up and not have to hurry. Back at home in the UK it’s always a rush to get up, eat breakfast, get ready and go to work (even though I still always end up being late Hahaha!) so I’m going to enjoy the more relaxed slower pace while I’m here.

I take a long time
(ooh, at least 10 seconds) carefully weighing up all the options for today before finally deciding on shopping (You can read me like a book can't you?) :D

I head out into the lovely Sapporo morning and aim for Tokyu Hands. I’ve passed this place on a few occasions on previous shopping excursions, and decided that it needed some serious time devoted to it at a later date. Well, it’s a later date and I’m here itching to do some serious damage to my finances. Maybe.

It doesn’t take long after I enter before I notice a display of t shirts. I spend half an hour or so trying to decide which ones I like the best (Oooh, that's nice...but then again I like that one…aaarrrggghhh!!! Now…do I get it in black or dark blue???…Gah!!!)

I finally decide on one which has an silhouetted picture of a riot police officer indulging in some “crowd control” with a truncheon and bearing the slogan “Riot Police Vs Extremists” and a rather nice Japanese pavement design.

The rest of the morning is spent just wandering around Tokyou Hands with it's many floors of “stuff”

I could spend a huge amount of money here, but luckily common sense prevails and reminds me that I still have to take this all back to the UK.

Limiting myself to some nicely designed greetings cards and stationary from the huge selection on the top floor, I bid farewell to one of my favourite shops and decide to get some lunch.


I head up to Odori Park, stopping en route to pick up a sandwich and a large bag of pizza flavoured crisps (with bits of real cheese!) at a convenience store and get a drink from one of the many dispensing machines that can be found everywhere. I eat lunch in Odori. This is rapidly becoming one of my favourite places in Sapporo. It’s a nice way to spend some time, just sitting there watching the world go by. As the weather is good, people appear to be very relaxed and happy which is always nice to see.

Lunch finished, I head once again to shopping area to explore some more.

As I wait to cross the road between blocks in the Tanukikoji shopping arcade. I hear a siren in the distance. Now, if you are ever in the UK and you’re at a road crossing and hear a siren, I recommend that you stop and wait for whichever emergency vehicle it is to pass. They have an alarming tendency to run people over.

With this at the back of my mind, I stop and wait for the Ambulance to pass, thinking how brave (or stupid) the people who have decided to risk crossing are.

Just as the Ambulance reaches the crossing, I notice the guy in the passenger seat turning towards me and another woman (who has also decided to play it safe and wait) bowing and mouthing the words “arigato gozaimasu” as they pass! It may have been my imagination, but they even appear to slow down as they reach us so they can do it! LOL!

(I love the way that emergency vehicles in Japan always have someone informing the public that “This is the Police/Ambulance/Fire Engine, Please move out of the way” through a loud speaker as they speed along! – I’ve seen a solo Police officer do this while driving, which was funny as she wouldn’t have had full control of the car or have been paying close attention to the road!)

I locate the Hysterical Glamour store in one of the quieter streets. This is a rather trendy and fashionable place to be buying clothes from, so I’m not sure if I’m going to be cutting edge enough to warrant a look inside!

With this in mind, I try to be all cool and sophisticated as I wander from rail to rail, not noticing the raised lighting in the centre of the floor. My foot catches the edge and I stumble, not enough to fall ove completely, but just enough for me to get embarrassed and for the assistant to politely stifle a laugh.

After a quick exit from the shop, I wander around a bit more, this time to the north of Odori Park. I take a few photographs of anything that interests me (buildings, signs and even a lamp post)

As I wander, I begin to notice strange little things...Things that probably most people who live here take for granted.

Things like: Why is it that no matter what time you go out, morning, afternoon or evening there are high school girls wandering around? (O_o)

The little speakers that shout out adverts to passers by which are almost impossible to understand (even if I could speak fluent Japanese, It’s hard to hear them over the noise of the traffic)

The noise that indicates that it’s safe to cross the road is different when going from East to West than it is when going from North to South…(people of Sapporo listen next time you go out, you'll know what I mean)

Anyway…back to the hotel it is, and it’s time to go through the routine of trying to retrieve my key.

Once again I go through about three levels of authority before being able to collect my key. I head upstairs for a cup of tea and get ready for the evening.

Evening arrives and I’m off with Phil to meet Eriko, a friend of his at Brian Brew (Going to Brian Brew??? Surely not!??? LOL!)

We meet Eriko outside and take up position on some of the comfy seats upstairs, chatting and drinking as most people usually do when sitting in a pub. I say hi to Akimi who is serving some very noisy people who are sitting in the corner. A little while later we’re joined by Naoko, a friend of Eriko. A bit more chatting and a bit more drinking later, Phil has to leave, so Eriko and Naoko decide to take me onto a Japanese style pub for something to eat. Oh yeah, and more drinking…

After lots of eating and drinking (I think you can probably write the rest of this yourself now) We head out into the lively Sapporo streets, Eriko and Naoko kindly pointing me in the direction of my hotel.

I go up to the counter to collect my key. Yes, there’s the usual hassle, but I don’t mind. I had a good evening…I stumble back to my room for some much needed sleep.

:D

2 Comments:

Blogger Eriko said...

Ah, what did we eat? Bit of Sashimi, pork something...

1:37 AM  
Blogger Colin said...

Ummm...I think so!

Maybe!

My memory isn't that good!

Perhaps Naoko will remember!

:D

4:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home